Photo by Stephanie Trapp/Showtime

Jarrett Hurd (21-0, 15 KOs) defeats Austin Trout (30-4, 17 KOs) by 10th round TKO victory in a firefight with sensational back and forth action causing both fighters to be sent to the hospital afterwards.

In his first title defense of his IBF junior middleweight title, Hurd was able to do what the likes of Canelo Alvarez, Erislandy Lara and Jermall Charlo were unable to do before him which is to stop the game Trout.

In wildly entertaining showdown of highly skilled fighters on opposite sides of their careers, the heavy handed Hurd with his hands down at his side for most of the bout stalked and sought out the veteran Trout punishing him with crisp jabs and hard-hitting uppercuts.

By the seventh round Hurd had taken over the bout after hurting Trout with a straight, lead right hand which wobbled Trout and nearly floored the 33-year-old from Las Cruces, New Mexico.

“I’m always a slow starter,” Hurd said immediately after the win. “Trout was good in the beginning, but I showed that it is tough to go the distance with Jarret Hurd.”

Hurd had Trout hurt again in the eighth round, this time wobbling him with a left hand near the end of the round which is the only reason Trout survived and made it back to his corner.

Hurd battered Trout in the 10th round which started with another giant left hand sending Trout into the ropes. Trout used every bit of his experience and heart to stay upright and get through the round.

In the corner with his right eye swollen shut, Trout’s trainer was questioning whether it was worth coming out for the 11th. The ringside physician used that as an opportunity to stop the bout much to the chagrin of Trout who looked devastated on his stool.

A courageous Trout tried his best to trade with Hurd but the bigger and younger Hurd had more firepower in his fists and was able to withstand Trout’s shots better than Trout did.

Trout gave as good as he took and had Hurd backing up in the early rounds and managed to steal some rounds. Hurd had a difficult time get past Trout’s jab.

In the second round Trout’s jab set up some power shots but Hurd managed to block most of the harder shots. Trout pressed further and landed a straight left hand to back Hurd up. Hurd came back with a left of his own that connected cleanly.

Hurd started the third round very strong making Trout back up with heavy right and left hooks. Trout timed Hurd perfectly with the round winding down and caught Hurd walking in with a left hand. Both fighters started to exchange big shots bringing the crowd to its feet.

Hurd pressed the action in fourth and fifth round snapping Trout’s head back with big right hands. Hurd started to come on and get closer to Trout but the crafty southpaw moved his head and evaded some of the harder shots.

Hurd and Trout traded big shots in the sixth round standing in the middle of the ring with Hurd getting the better of the exchange. Trout started feeling the pressure and was wobbled with an overhand left. Hurd recovered fired back hard shots to punctate the round.

A clash of heads opened a nasty gash under Hurd’s left eye in the seventh but Hurd seemed unfazed and pressed on to hurt Trout and make Trout retreat.

This was the first title defense for the 27-year-old from Accokeek, Maryland after winning the title with a ninth round stoppage of Tony Harrison back in February in Alabama. Hurd also owns knockout wins against then unbeaten Frank Galarza, Oscar Molina and Jo Jo Dan but Trout is now the respectable win Hurd has been searching for. Trout had a long layoff since a unanimous decision loss to Jermall Charlo in May of 2016.

Header photo by Marilyn Paulino/RBRBoxing